The IATSE Low Budget Theatrical Agreement, commonly referred to as the NLB (National Low Budget) Agreement has been ratified, effective January 1st, 2020 – December 31st, 2022. To help you prepare for budgeting, hiring crew, and discussing benefits for your future productions, we've outlined the most recent changes below.
Minimum Wage Increase
Please note: The wage scales and working condition provisions of this Agreement shall be minimums and employees shall not be precluded from obtaining “better conditions” as that term is understood in the motion picture industry. Any employee enjoying such better conditions shall not have their wages or working conditions reduced as a consequence of this Agreement.
Positions Added (Effective January 1st, 2020)
- On-set Dresser - 2nd rate
- Custom Made Costumer - 2nd rate
- Production Designer - STN
- Lighting Designer - STN
Rule Modifications Added (Effective January 1st, 2020)
- The work week for weekly employees may be prorated for their first week and their last week (including Local 700 employees).
- All prep and wrap days must now be a minimum of 8 hours.
- There will be a 32 hour rest period preceding the 6th work day when occurring on the 7th day of the work week.
- A rest period after the 7th workday in a work week must be 12 hours.
01/1/20 - 12/31/22
|Ultra Low Budget
(aka Tier 0)
At least fifteen (15) days of scheduled principal photography and production costs budgeted at no more than $2,750,000.00
|Low Budget - Tier 1||$2,035,0001.00 - $6,000,000.00||Budgeted production costs $2,750,001.00 - $7,500,000.00|
|Low Budget - Tier 2||$6,000,001.00 - $10,000,000.00||Budgeted production cost $7,500,001.00 - $11,000,000.00|
|Low Budget - Tier 3||$10,000,001.00 - $14,200,000.00||Budgeted production cost $11,000,001.00 - $15,000,000.00|
Positional Rate Changes
|2019||1/1/20 - 12/31/22|
|POC - 2nd rate||POC - Key rate|
|APOC - 3rd rate||APOC - 2nd rate|
|Leadperson - 2nd rate||Leadperson - Key rate|
|Film Loader rates and Digital Utility rates differed.||Film Loader rates are now equal to Digital Utility rates.|
|Sound Mixer rates increased annually.||Sound Mixer rates will only increase in the first contract year.|
|No minimum rate was stipulated for "All Others."||The "All Others" rate subject to negotiation (STN) must be greater than or equal to the 3rd rate.|
New Fringe Rates
Premium rates will remain at $8.7775, effective 8/2/2020.
Daily Non-MPIPHP Rates
Effective January 1st, 2020, the daily non-MPIPHP rates increased by $4.00 for union locals with daily benefit rates.
BENEFITS FOR PERSONS HIRED WITHIN THE JURISDICTION OF THE IATSE:
For individuals employed on Ultra Low and Tier One productions
- Effective January 1, 2020: $112.00 per day
- Effective January 1, 2021: $116.00 per day
- Effective January 1, 2022: $121.00 per day
For individuals employed on Tier Two and Tier Three productions
- Effective January 1, 2020: $114.00 per day
- Effective January 1, 2021: $118.00 per day
- Effective January 1, 2022: $123.00 per day
BENEFITS FOR PERSONS HIRED IN PRODUCTION CITIES:
For Ultra Low Budget productions
- Effective January 1, 2020: $119.00 per day
- Effective January 1, 2021: $123.00 per day
- Effective January 1, 2022: $128.00 per day
For all other Tier One productions
- Effective January 1, 2020: $126.00 per day
- Effective January 1, 2021: $130.00 per day
- Effective January 1, 2022: $135.00 per day
For individuals employed on Tier Two productions:
- Effective January 1, 2020: $143.00 per day
- Effective January 1, 2021: $147.00 per day
- Effective January 1, 2022: $152.00 per day
For individuals employed on Tier Three productions:
- Effective January 1, 2020: $147.00 per day
- Effective January 1, 2021: $151.00 per day
- Effective January 1, 2022: $156.00 per day
Please note: For those jurisdictions not otherwise referenced that have their own benefit plans, the IATSE shall notify the Employer of the allocation of such plans.
If you have any questions, please contact our Labor Relations team at LaborRelations@gslate.com.
Last updated 12.23.20. This information in this communication is general in nature, and is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal, accounting, tax or other professional advice rendered by GreenSlate, LLC. The reader should contact his or her attorney, CPA, or tax professional prior to taking any action based upon this information.