With the Montana Economic Industry Advancement (MEDIA) Act, Montana’s first film tax incentive since the Big Sky on the Big Screen Act sunset in 2015, Montana has a new tool to help get stories told in Montana.
The MEDIA Act, which became effective July 1, 2019, offers a 20% production expenditure tax credit, with additional components that can increase the transferable credit to a maximum of 35% of total base film production investment.
Those add-on incentives can include:
- 25% of compensation for Montana resident crews
- 15% of compensation for non-Montana resident crews
- 30% of compensation paid to students
- 20% of above the line compensation per production or television series season, with ceiling
- 15% of compensation paid to actors
- 10% of payments to Montana colleges or universities
- 10% of all in-studio facility and equipment rental expenditures
- 5% of expenditures in a high poverty county
- 25% of post-production wages (not effective until 2021)
- 5% for Montana screen credit
Visit montanafilm.com for more information, or explore GreenSlate’s suite of intuitive, web-based production incentive tools – including an interactive map, comparison tool, and incentives calculator – to easily search, compare, and calculate production incentives on any device, and contact Kathleen Thompson, at firstname.lastname@example.org, with any tax incentive inquiries.